Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, March 30, 2007

my thoughts and ramblings

Lately, I have found myself thinking more and more about race, transracial families and what it means to be Black or a minority in America. I know my children won't be "cute, little babies" forever and that they will grow up one day and I worry about giving them the tools to deal with any obstacles that they may face. To be honest, I have never given race and racism a second thought until we decided to adopt transracially. As a white woman, I have never really had to deal with race issues head on...ever. Now, I find myself driving through my neighborhood, shopping at Target or the grocery store, going out to dinner, whatever and I wonder how my child will perceive things and how my child will BE perceived. How will I react?
I worry about them (and they're not even here yet!) I want to do right by them. I want them to be comfortable in their skin. I want them to be comfortable with their White parents and their Black peers. I want them to be comfortable and PROUD of their Ethiopian roots. I want them to be well adjusted. How do I do all of this?
These are the thoughts that have been running through my head lately. I hope that by being aware before my child comes home is somewhat of a head start on acquiring the tools to pass on to my children...I hope.

No comments: