Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, September 16, 2007

30 tid-bits about me since I am now 30

1. Most of my life I wanted to be a police officer. Seriously. I even studied Criminal Justice in college. I still have dreams of becoming a homicide detective.

2. My all time favorite ice cream is, hands down, Baskin-Robbins Peanut Butter & Chocolate. There is no better ice cream.

3. I am very passionate about animals and their rights & well-being. I believe in standing up for those who cannot speak for themselves.

4. I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years. I wish I could be again, we don't eat very much meat at home and when we do, it is free-range, grass fed. I know, it doesn't make sense given my answer to #3.

5. I am stubborn. Really stubborn.

6. I love to read and I wish I had more time for it. I am a huge fan of Stephen King, the Dark Tower series was the best ever. I am also a huge fan of Bret Easton Ellis, I like anything a little "off"

7. Speaking of books, I also love audio books! Ryan makes fun of me, but I love listening to them on my way to/from work! Again, The Dark Tower series was fantastic on audio book.


8. Ryan & I met through our dogs. We were living in the same apartment building-I had Yale, my 1st dog & Ryan just got a cute little puppy. I noticed the puppy, our dogs played together and the rest is history!


9. Mac n' cheese is the best food on the planet. If we go to a restaurant and they have it on the menu, I have to order it.



10. The 1st concert I went to was Tina Turner and The Beach Boys at Summerfest. I was maybe 5 or 6...I don't remember anything about it. The 1st concert Ryan took me to was Tom Petty and it was for my 22nd birthday. Tom was a little inebriated during that show.



11. Halloween is by far, my favorite holiday. We usually don't do much but I love decorating the house & greeting the Trick or Treaters. Plus, I just loove the way that autumn smells!



12. Meeting my daughter for the 1st time was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Meeting her birth mom was the other.



13. My 1st car was a red 1988 Honda Civic. It lasted 3 days before the engine died :( After that I drove a red Dodge Shadow that had the bumper duct taped on.



14. I love to dance...in my kitchen. I make up crazy moves and do this weird pseudo-Irish jig thing. Ryan hates it because he is sure that the neighbors are watching. I don't care. Oh, and I don't need any music-I'll just break out into a jig for no reason.



15. But I hate going out to clubs to dance. I need to have a couple of drinks in me before I will even consider embarrassing myself like that in public.



16. I wore torn fishnet stockings & combat boots through most of high school.



17. I got my 1st tattoo at age 14. It was supposed to be the symbol for the punk band the Dead Kennedys but the guy who tattooed me did it backwards. Never let your friends tattoo you unless you are over 21 and they are professionals. I now have 6 tattoos.



18. I always said that I wanted to be a mom by the time I hit 30. Whew, just in time :)



19. I have 3 dads :) And all 3 were at our wedding, it was fantastic.



20. I love college football. My favorite team is the Tennessee Volunteers. No, I didn't go to school there, I just love their uniforms (orange & white!).



21. I have a serious shopping obsession. Sometimes I just have to go out and buy something.



22. Hearing my daughter laugh is truly the best thing. She has the best laugh!



23. I love Chai tea lattes from Starbucks. I crave them. I get a headache if I can't have one.



24. I asked Ryan out on our 1st date. He was too chicken to ask me! I figured my lease was almost up so if he said no I could always move. I told him that my friend was supposed to come over to have a beer & watch a movie but she blew me off, so I was stuck with a six pack and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. It was a very weird 1st date movie. We moved in 3 months later and have been together ever since...9 years :)

25. I'm allergic to animals, especially cats, rabbits & guinea pigs!

26. My first job in an animal hospital was in 1996 and I haven't looked back! I went from working in a day practice as an assistant to working my way up to a large emergency & critical care hospital, getting my license as a Veterinary Technician and working where I am now for the past 5 1/2 yrs. Oh, and I'm still allergic to animals! ;)

27. I used to ride horses when I was a kid and I was pretty good at it. I keep saying I want to ride again but never get around to it. Maybe Nora will ride horses one day.

28. I will watch anything on t.v that involves true crime. I love CourtTv & American Justice, I could seriously watch that all day long...and believe me, I have. I once spent an entire summer indoors watching a trial on CourtTv, I couldn't help it, I am easily sucked in.

29. Carmen Electra was at my 21st bday party. Ok, she wasn't there to see me but she was at the club we were that night and when I was sick in the bathroom from too many shots, she came over to my stall and asked if I was ok. Of course, I didn't know who she was at the time but a male friend that was with me kept saying "Do you know who that was in the bathroom with you??!! It was Carmen Electra!" Hmmm, one of my few brushes with fame.

30. A few years ago for my birthday I traveled all of the way to Los Angeles to see the Supersuckers play at The Roxy. My best friend from San Francisco met me and we had a fantastic time! Plus, we were right on the stage AND I was able to meet Eddie Spaghetti!

5 comments:

jayme said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!!

I love learning all these random little facts about you!

And peanut butter and chocolate? Totally the best ice cream ever...

Nancy said...

Melkam Lidet!!! You rock sister!

I don't know you well enough yet to envision you as a homicide detective, but I'll trust you on that one.

I saw Tom Petty too, but I believe at the time, I was the one inebriated. Ah, I remember it well.

Anything with chocolate and peanut butter is sensational!

I am glad you squeezed by to making it to motherhood before your 30th.

May this be a fantastic year for you.

cathy said...

I love when people post more (and crazy) info about themselves. Happy Birthday! You are a riot!

Sebrina Wilson said...

Happy Birthday!! I just found your blog and your daughter is gorgeous!!!!

Stacie said...

Love the fishnets and combat boots. We would have gotten along in high school. :)