Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, November 29, 2007

rant & randomness

So, it looks like I am not going to be able to pull of going part-time after all :(
I am having a really hard time finding a solution to my health insurance quandary. Right now, Nora & I are on my plan and Ryan has insurance through his job. We looked into hopping on his plan but it would be $600 a month (faint) So, I applied to a couple of insurance companies on my own.....errrr....very frustrating. The 1st company (Blue Cross) denied me because of my fertility problems. Can you believe that? I am not receiving any treatment for my endometriosis and I don't have any symptoms of endo. (other than infertility) and I certainly will not be receiving any fertility treatments...argh!
The 2nd company said they would cover me but would not cover anything related to my asthma. Well, that doesn't do me any good! So, we are back at square 1...with me working full-time unless I can come up with another scheme......

In better news, we are going to court on Monday afternoon for Nora's re adoption! I am so excited!! But I am feeling an unexpected twinge of sadness now that Nora's name will legally be changed. It's silly I know, because she will always know the name that her mother gave her and we are incorporating it into her full name AND we call her by it more than we call her Nora but I still feel a little guilty. I guess it's just another part of my grieving process...I grieve for her loss of her mother (and her mother's loss of her) and the loss of her country and culture.....and now her name.
Jeez, I am in a mood today! I took my happy court news and made it all depressing!

I promise I will be a bundle of cheer for the IEKC Holiday party!!!!

Although, I do feel better after this rant!

7 comments:

Stacie said...

That stinks about the insurance... is it b/c IL insurance has to offer IVF? I've never heard of anyone being denied b/c of infertility. That really doesn't seem fair. Has any man ever been denied for ED? (I know the two are not related - I'm just ranting back to your rant.) Women get the shaft (pardon the pun) when it comes to health insurance.

Oh - and I haven't even started re-adoption yet. I'm really impressed that you're already going to court.

Tiny's Mom said...

It probably has to do with that-I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will cover me w/ a rider or whatever stating that they won't cover anything to do w/ my endometriosis. Ugh, I hate insurance companies!

Nancy said...

My last job did not offer group health insurance. I had to apply through independent companies. I was denied twice due to a pre-existing condition. Thankfully, I was able to be covered through the state.

Your court news is worthy of celebration! And your sadness is worthy of your attention. Life happens and you should allow yourself the space to feel what you are feeling, regardless of the time of year :)

I can't promise I'll be a bundle of cheer at the IEKC party, but I will go with an open heart and my best party smile :)

Anyway, congratulations on the re-adoption.

Stacy said...

yaarrr that's frustrating! I hear you on insurance companies. What I am paying for Lucy is definately a big part of what is keeping her an only child.

Michael Wolaver - Identity Promotions said...

Ryan and Katie,

This is Michael Wolaver, I grew up with Ryan in Glen Ellyn. I heard today from my mom that you guys adopted from Ethiopia and we just adopted from Ethiopia as well!!! Congrats on your daughter, she is a cutie.

I will be in touch soon!

Michael, Michele and Mehandis

Cristina said...

Starbucks gives FULL benefits for 20 hours a week, that includes kick ass insurance at a great price. Quit getting your butt kicked by crazy cats and go drink lattes all day :)
I worked Starbucks for 6 or 7 years while I was in school and I just can't say anything bad about the place, other than the silly green apron.

Laurzie said...

Hey, we were in country at the same time. We left on the 17th and arrived back home with our little Elianna Ray on the 25th. Nora is just beautiful!